Tyler, Me, Alexandra

Tyler, Me, Alexandra
Enjoying Mexico 2010

Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Heinz 57 is my Perspective

If one person was to define my theory on teaching as they see it, they would call it the Heinz 57 theory, because I am a little bit of everything--and a whole lot of patience, understanding, love, and caring.

Today I was reviewing drawing maps of the world from free hand (memory maps). Most students were zipping right along, and then I would have the occasional student say, when did we learn that! I cover this material inside and out---you name it, I have an activity for it! I actually think of lessons while I am sleeping and get up and write them down, (that is a teacher trait). Behaviorist takes over, have you been practicing drawing maps at home????? Students responds with nope, have not had the time! My response, sweetheart---you have not had the time since the beginning of the year? lol!!!!Practice, dril, Practice, drill----

Tonight I will be getting all kinds of text messages from my honor students asking questions on the papers they are writing for their upcoming congressional hearings. Love to be able to text with them, quick response. Also will be doing some blogging with them tonight great way to review, because they love this type of interaction.

2 comments:

  1. Tammy-

    Do you text with students via cell? This networking of technology is a challenge of ethics for many school districts. I have come under fire for having students in my FaceBook network, and our district has given us strict instructions that we are not to be texting students. Personally, I see it as a way to connect with students at their level-- meeting them where they are in life. However, due to the media coverage when a teacher makes poor choices, our district does not want anyone being put in that compromising situation. I am torn to be caught in the middle of this since my own inclination is to apply technology wherever possible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Karma,
    Yes, I am waiting for the day our school district does not allow us to text our students as well. I do not have a facebook page, and one of the main reasons is because I am a teacher---I do not want students asking to be friends on the site. Also I have two college students, I do not want to feel like I am checking up on them via facebook! So, I stay away from all these sites.
    With the text messaging, I only text, after the student texts me, and it is completely school related. Yes, it is my own personal cell. They love being able to get a hold of me at night, and ask about homework. My 8th honors class, takes advantage of this the most, as they are always working on big assignments. Before the texting students would call me, so this is just faster and easier! The parents appreciate that I do this with their children, I have had lots of positive feedback from them. But, as you said some teachers make poor choices, and this really hurts the rest of us.

    ReplyDelete