Tyler, Me, Alexandra

Tyler, Me, Alexandra
Enjoying Mexico 2010

Thursday, May 27, 2010

Room #21--Geography/History---Constructivist/ Constructionist

"7th & 8th GRADE CONSTRUCTION ZONE"

Enter for hands on learning----My classrooms have never been traditional. Students do not sit quietly at their desks and take notes as I talk the whole period-- Instead everyone is interacting! Fred Moodry Middle School is filled with technology and most of the teachers, teach with a constructivist/constructionist approach. Projects and construction are going on all over the place!

In our readings this week, a triangle was drawn with main idea at the top and supporting details at the bottom. I can relate to the constructivism approach to top down. "I LOVE HANDS ON LESSONS/TECHNOLOGY. If students feel they have a voice in their learning and the teacher values their opinion--everything else will fall into place.

In our classroom--(I say our classroom because it belongs to the students as well as myself), we explored many project based lessons this year. Students really enjoy virtual reality trips such as National Geographics Xpedition Hall and then follow ups with graphic organizers of some kind. Orey defines the constructionism approach by stating that people learn more when they build artifacts, projects, etc. (Laureate ed., 2008).

The We the People program/Project Citizen is a fantastic approach to project learning. My students wrote , "Ordinance 217" for our county this year--"Save lives don't txt & Drive". IT PASSED! On May 20, 2010 It became a county law. They were able to get the support of the whole community by posting a wikispace, podcasting skyping, web-quests, etc. My 8th graders were able to pull off this large project because they took ownership!

I am a big believer in the teacher being the facilitator of the room, guiding the students, and letting them solve problems on their own with my guidance.

thirteen-Ed online. (2004). Inquiry based learning. Concept to classroom.

Glazer, E. (2001). Problem based instruction. Orey, M. (ed.), Emerging perspectives on learning, teaching, and technology.

5 comments:

  1. Tammy,
    What a huge accmplishment for your students to be able to get a law passed in your county! It is truly amazing how much we can communicate through a wide range of technology to make changes in our world. Did you notice a difference between the learning your students experienced through virtual field trips versus when you just taught it orally before? Keep working hard to shape the minds of our future generations and make positive changes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a fellow 7th and 8th grade teacher I think hands on activities go a long way with this age group. They think they know everything and they cannot learn anything from a teacher, so why not give them the opportunity to show us. I have found out they know more then I think, but you also get a lot more “O” moments with the students. As a teacher those “O” moments are what will make a bad day into a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would very much enjoy being a student in your class. In addition, I would learn a lot as well. I like your idea of being a facilitator and learning along with the students. These are quite similar to my views and understanding of constructivist approaches to learning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jeya,
    I love to watch other teachers and get all sorts of ideas and expand on them. I learn so much from hard working teachers like yourself.
    We do have a lot of fun in my class, while learning lots.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Johnathone,
    Isn't middle school an amazing bunch--nothing is ever the same, that is what I love about all of them.

    ReplyDelete