Tyler, Me, Alexandra

Tyler, Me, Alexandra
Enjoying Mexico 2010

Wednesday, November 10, 2010

WANTED: GAME PLAN

Developing a Game Plan of My Own!

Sitting staring at the NETS standards for teachers, I find myself, switch hitting on which area I would like to improve my overall game. The main reason I am currently getting my Master's degree is for professional development--I knew that education was taking a whole new role with the use of technology and I needed to get on board. I am using the Game Plan from Cennamo, Ross, and Ertmer's text book. The first net I picked was easy, Professional Growth and Leadership. The second was not as easy, I could have picked them all--but I choose, Facilitate and Inspire Student Learning and Creativity. My Game Plan follows:

Set the Goal: Up to Bat
Two years ago, I started trying to incorporate more technology into my classroom. Then came signing up for the Master's Program with Walden University, this was a big step for me--as I knew I did not have a lot of extra time in my week. Last week I signed up for "Taking Technology to the Classroom", this is to earn credits towards an APSC technology in education notation, from the Office of Public Instruction in Montana. If I was able to get this, I would have certification in Technology. Also I will be starting phase one of my National Certification, this will involve my technology skills in the classroom. All of this will help in my being an extremely proficient facilitator in the classroom, and it will inspire my students.

Take Action: First Base
Setting up the goal is my first part of the action. Surrounding myself with people in the district who are also utilizing technology in the classroom. Subscribing to blogs, and blogging myself on the topic will also help. Being involved with epals in my classroom, I am currently working with two teachers and their classrooms from California and New York. My students have been skyping others who are in various parts of the world. Two college students will be coming into my classroom in December to help strengthen my students skills with video production. Work on lessons that will engage my students in real world issues. One way of doing this will be when my students work on C-Span's annual student documentary (5 minute-video over federal government).

Monitor: Second Base
Sometimes I need to slow down and take things one step at a time, and master one thing before I move on to the next item. Have my students give me feedback on my technology skills, and fill out a rubric. It would also be a benefit to have another teacher sit and observe me as I facilitate my students and see if they feel I am inspiring them. Then I need to do a personal reflection!

Evaluate: Third Base
If I can evaluate myself, and monitor my skills--I am almost home! Will my students go on to use the material I exposed them to in class. Am I improving my skills on a weekly basis, are my lessons becoming more engaging for my students and for myself. Johnson and Johnson (1998), and Slavin ((1994) have documented student achievement gains when students work in collaborative groups. Will I have the same documentation? What has worked best, what do I need to change in my lessons. Become very familiar with the NETS standards for myself as well as my students having a copy in their folders.

This is going to be a long road to home plate, but I am not ready to steal home just yet! I realize that I have so much work to do before I can even think of heading in that direction, but I do believe I am on the right path with my education and my students. This plan will help me to become the teachers I do so admire and will help me to inspire my students in a positve way.

Cennamo, K., Ross, J. & Ertmer, P. (2009). Technology Integration for Meaningful classroom use: A standards-based approach. (Laureate). Belmont, CA

NETS-T National Education Standards for Teachers. (2008).

4 comments:

  1. Tammy-

    It sounds like you have established a clear goal for your purpose in learning how to integrate technology into your classroom and how you will accomplish this. I like how you mentioned making yourself familiar with blogs before introducing them to students. Teachers must have a clear understanding of technology before introducing it to students.

    Having your students communicate globally through ePals will expand their resources and allow them to communicate and learn in ways that they would not be able to in the classroom alone. I also had the idea of giving students a rubric or survey so that they could share their opinions of using technology and I could modify future instruction to help students learn in the ways that they are most comfortable with. We know that students are being exposed to a wide range of technology outside of the classroom, and we need to use these tools to help students learn in school. Evaluating yourself and keeping track of what works and what does not will be beneficial in guiding instruction and allowing you to see where you could still grow professionally. Stick to your goals and follow through with your plan, and I think you will be very successful in integrating technology into your classroom and the lives of your students.

    Tiffany Harrell

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tiffany,
    Thank you for your response. I made up a survey yesterday to give to my students on Monday about technology. I think this will be a step in the right direction for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tammy,
    I think you have laid out a great GAME plan. I also chose Professional Growth and Leadership, which I think most teachers would agree that this is an area that could always prove useful. So much is changing in the world of education and I feel that the only way to truly keep up with the changes is to seek professional growth and classes that will teach us about new tools that we can be implementing in our classrooms.

    I really like what you said under the Monitor section of your GAME plan. I think getting feedback from other teachers, and even your own students, is a great way to monitor your progress. Using our own students to give us feedback is a powerful tool that I don't always utilize. I think having students fill out a rubric about the technology in your classroom will give you a great understanding of their perception of the class. I think I might look into making something like a rubric as well. Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Abby,
    As educators we need to be willing to change and try new ideas and keep learning ourselves. A couple teachers and myself are getting together tomorrow after school to make a rubric for our students to fill out. Today I thought about this being a great tool for our school and for the direction we want our school to go! Thankfully my principal, supports all this technology--it is my fear she will be retiring at the end of this year.

    ReplyDelete