Tyler, Me, Alexandra

Tyler, Me, Alexandra
Enjoying Mexico 2010

Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Evaluating my Game Plan---week 5

If it was not for this masters program, I would be striking out, at the technology game. These classes have pushed me to work harder at accomplishing my goals in the classroom. In the past couple of years I worked with the smartboard, CPS units, video taping, and virtual trips. Since I have been taking these classes, I feel like I need to ask all my former students back, so I can get a second chance at teaching them.

Today I spent an hour researching eportfolio's for my classes. I have not used these in my classes before and I feel they would be a great addition. After researching I contacted the tech person in our district, and asked her to lend me a hand with accomplishing this task. I also found a senior in college who is currently attending college in Mexico for a semester. We set up a time that my students will skype her twice a week. The plan is for my students to learn about the culture of Mexico from her.

Last week when I posted I felt I might have to put off getting my National Certification---I have decided I need to move forward with this and not put it off! As I mentioned in an early post I have a great support group and mentors for this process, so therefore I need to go forward with my goals.

Tonight I worked on creating a new lesson with PBL-- I am going to try and post a problem in five different centers. I will put my students into groups of four or five, and they will work on a problem for fifteen minutes than I will have them rotate and continue working on the next problem where the last group left off. I love learning centers and I have done PBL lessons before--I am going to try and combine the two and see what happens.

I have a lot to learn! I just need someone to extend the day from 24 hours to 32 hours, this way I would get 8 hours of sleep and twenty four hours to accomplish all my daily jobs. I am going to really focus on the eportfolio's this week and figuring out how to do a PBL learning center.

My current needs are what is best for my students. I need to stay focused on making them my main priority--this will increase my profesional development and my creativity in the classroom.

3 comments:

  1. It sounds like you are well on your way to creating a digital classroom. Your idea of having a senior that lives in Mexico skype your class twice a week is so great. I think it is so amazing how technology allows us to communicate and collaborate with people from around the world. This is sure to expose your students to how life is in other countries.

    I also admire your dedication to getting your national credential. My motivation for professional growth comes and goes. Sometimes all the work that goes into teaching along with all of our homework feels like too much and I lose my enthusiasm for both. There are other times where the things I have been learning about in class drives me to push myself at work. Lately though, it seems more like I am just tired and burned out with both. I cannot imagine also going for a national credential!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Amber,
    Thanks, the good thing about doing my National Certification at this time, is that I will be working with other teachers. This is something I really want to do, but I feel it would be better for me to have others to lean on! I am worried about having the time. My family also owns a supper club and I work there as well four nights a week. So my life gets a little hectic! I am always tired, but I always think I can sleep later!!!! Being busy beats being home alone!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I understand about being busy. I am often teased by friends and family about everything that I take on. On top of work and school I perform in two community concert bands, so I have practice at least one night a week. I am always tired too! Recently, my father in law called me an over achiever. I told him I would rather be an over achiever than unmotivated! Your post is reminding me to stay focused, the end of classes is in sight!

    ReplyDelete